Crooked politicians, Russian spies and Fox News knife fighters – these are just a few of the people The Daily Beast exposed in 2018. From the White House to the courthouse, from scientific triumphs to untold tragedy , The Beast was there. Thanks to the support of our members, we were able to delve into exclusive investigations, gripping threads and wacky stories from inside the Halls of Power. Here are some of our favorites of 2018:
1. How an ex-cop rigged McDonald’s monopoly game and stole millions
This is the story that broke the internet and started an epic Hollywood auction war. The Daily Beast’s long look at how a network of gangsters, psychics, strip club owners and drug dealers won almost every award for 12 years in the game McDonald’s Monopoly has become a real phenomenon cultural. If you haven’t read it yet, do it now before Ben Affleck and Matt Damon put it on the big screen.
2. Porn Star: Donald Trump and Stormy Daniels invited me to their hotel room
It’s safe to say that no one saw how twisted the Stormy Daniels / Donald Trump / Michael Cohen / Michael Avenatti saga was to become. Revisit where it all began – who could forget Stormy’s infamous quote about Trump running through his “narrow-whities”?
3. “ Lone DNC Hacker ” Guccifer 2.0 Slipped Out And Revealed He Was A Russian Intelligence Officer
In March 2018, The Daily Beast reported that Guccifer 2.0 – the so-called “lone hacker” who claimed responsibility for the leaked DNC emails – was actually a Russian intelligence officer. In July 2018, Mueller’s office formally charged him.
4. John Kelly: Rex Tillerson was in the bathroom when I told him he would get fired
Perhaps John Kelly’s most revealing moment as Chief of Staff was when he shared this extremely TMI story about former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
5. Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen received inside information from Russia Probe
During Mueller’s investigation, closed-door testimony did not exactly stay in-camera.
6. Omarosa secretly recorded Trump and played audio to others
When The Daily Beast exclusively revealed that Omarosa Manigault-Newman had secretly taped Trump, the betrayal was particularly shocking. But, as we learned later, that was just the start.
7. Fox News is at war with its own: Kimberly Guilfoyle
Kimberly Guilfoyle left Fox News to embark on the campaign with Don Jr., her boyfriend. Then, sources told The Beast, the network quietly attempted revenge.
8. No food, no FEMA: Hurricane Michael survivors furious
Hurricane Michael wreaked havoc in Florida, but the government essentially ghosted residents when they needed help the most. The Beast was on the ground in Panama City looking for answers.
9. Trump on the upcoming debt crisis: “I won’t be there” when it explodes
The US national debt currently stands at around $ 21 trillion, and sources say the President is in fact ignoring it. The Daily Beast explored what this indifference could mean for the economy.
10. Stan Lee breaks his silence: those I trust have betrayed me
Marvel legend Stan Lee left a long and complicated legacy. Here he is speaking for the first time – just a month before his death.
Allison Mack was the second-in-command of Keith Raniere, the founder of the NXIVM sect, and this story details how she allegedly became a “key recruiter” in the sex cult.
11. Golden State killer Joseph DeAngelo arrested after 40 years of stalking, authorities say
The Daily Beast first reported that Joseph James DeAngelo was suspected of being the Golden State killer, which notoriously murdered 12 people in California in the 1970s and 1980s.
12. The Interstitium, the largest organ we have ever known to have
It was one of the most important and controversial scientific discoveries of the year – and The Beast had the inside story of how she was born.
#Totally #Wild #stories #Daily #Beast